Thursday, September 13, 2012

Why I choose to homeschool my children

A little over a month ago, four days after we moved from Louisville to Paducah, I guess we thought there wasn't enough change going on in our life...because after homeschooling for eight years, we decided it was time to put all five of our kids in public school.  I felt a little bit like this picture:


While most people experience sending their children off one at a time, I got to experience them leaving all at once.  Yep.  It was definitely like jumping in an ice cold pool head first.

I guess you are confused right about now about the title of this post?  Well, the fact is, they may go to public school, but I am still homeschooling.  Every evening for about three or four hours, I get to check school work, explain confusing concepts, read aloud to my littles, help study for tests, send a misbehaving one to his room...all of the things I used to do during the day.  I am just no longer the one having to also come up with all of the assignments and teach them.  My tired, weary soul finds this to be a beautiful thing :).  

School has definitely been an adjustment.  And--a month later--we are still adjusting to new routines, new times to get up, managing our time wisely, studying for tests...the list goes on and on.  Overall, though, it's been a really good thing for our family.  So good, in fact, that I find myself wanting to shout from the rooftops about it.  

I have been hesitant, though.  I find myself trying not to be too overzealous over the fact that it has been such a great experience.  I know that strong feelings exist on both sides of the homeschool/public school debate and honestly, I've heard the strong opinions a little more than I've cared to.  I've had to bite my lip when I've listened to people proclaim why their choice of how they do school is the best way.  The truth is, it might be the 'best' way--for them and their children.  But it might not be the best way for someone else.  Thank goodness that God has different plans for different people and it doesn't always have to look the same for everybody.  I mean, the world would be a pretty boring place, if that were the case, don't you think?  

The truth is we are all guilty of wanting to persuade those around us that our way is the best way.  The fact that I've wanted to shout from the rooftops how well school is going is no exception.  Remember that little mishap that got Satan thrown out of heaven?  Pride?  It's always there tempting us, isn't it?  

If you are wrestling over whether you should send your child to school or homeschool, I encourage you to first and foremost make it a matter of prayer.  Yes, you can ask other's in regards to their opinions and experiences, but at the end of the day, it really boils down to what God's will is for your unique family.  So, don't take a poll of your closest friends.  Don't just do something because everyone else is doing it.  Don't make your decision out of fear.  Pray, pray and pray some more until you sense God leading you in the direction He would have you to go.  

God cares about all the little details, even the choices we make regarding school.  He yearns for us to come to Him with such matters.  He promises in James 1:5 that 'If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him.' 

So here's the deal.  

Over the next several blog posts, I will be sharing our pilgrimage into public school. 
If you happen to be on the fence regarding school, please remember, this is our unique story.  It may or may not be what God would have you do.  So, please read with cautionary discernment and file it away as one fellow sojourner's point of view...and then get on those prayer boots and see what God would have you to do. 





No comments:

Post a Comment