Thursday, May 16, 2013

Mother's Day Through the Eyes of a Six Year Old

This past Mother's Day was one I want to never forget.  Not only were we still riding the high from the day before (Regionals), my six-year-old made this day extra special with his sweet-thoughtfulness intertwined with 'down-right funny' (he didn't know it was funny, which made it funnier!).  I am writing this down so I can go back and read it one day (maybe at his wedding!).  May you get as much laughter out of this as we did:

I awoke to someone tapping on my head.  I peered at the clock.  It read 5:45 AM.

What was anyone doing up at 5:45 AM on the weekend?  And on Sunday of all days?

An excited six-year-old voice half-whispered, "It's Mother's Day!"

I half-whispered back, in a not-so-kind voice, 'Go back to bed!'  

Like that would work.  Saying that never works.  

Another half-whisper:  'It's Mother's Day!'

So I resorted to the tactic reserved for emergency situations: "Why don't you go back upstairs and play the Wii?"

Certain I had warded him off at the pass, I snuggled down into my covers and began drifting back into Neverland.

'HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!!!!!!!!!'

Yelling at the top of his lungs, jumping up and down on our bed, he could not contain his excitement any longer.  

I sighed and began the long, painful process of getting out of bed at 5:45 on a weekend.  When I got in the kitchen, Owen was trying to look sad, but the grin that kept overtaking his frown while his eyes danced was a dead give away that it was all a big act. 

"I wish I could give you a Mother's Day present.  Oh, I wish I had one for you."  

I played along, knowing full well he had made me something in his Kindergarten class.  

Then, lickety-split, he busted out of the kitchen and back in with a gift bag.  Thrusting it in my face, he yelled, "HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!!!"

He jumped up and down in anticipation as he waited for me to open it.

As much as I loved that he had a gift for me, I loved watching him give it to me even more.

I opened my gift.  It was a hand-made journal with a note on the front page:


AND

A story all about Mom:






My Mom's favorite TV show is:  The Bible.  Even though it's something way more holy, like Duck Dynasty or Property Brothers, I won't bust his bubble.


When my mom is driving she: sings
My olders would tell you that what I attempt to do, they wouldn't really call singing.


It bugs my mom when: you annoy me
(I think he got that a little mixed up?)


I love it when my mom:  kisses me
Love this one with all my heart.    


To relax my mom likes to: lay down on the couch and watch TV.
It appears I  am watching my favorite TV show the Bible :) 

 I wish I could buy my mom a new car.
Wow.  


Mom:  loving, kind, smart, caring
 Please don't grow up and quit thinking these things.  Ever.


I love when my mom cooks: pies
So, I am not sure I have ever made a pie???  And definitely not in a hot, purple outfit with matching heels!


My mom's favorite song is Madagascar.  She sings like an angel.
Madagascar?  Huh?


My mom is special because she teaches me about Jesus.
Heart burst.  Tears.  Too Much.


I am the author.  My name is Owen.  I am six years old.  I love my mom.
Did I mention that he just might be my favorite???

Nevermind that I just got this note from him two days ago:


My non-Italian, oh-so-Italian son.  Impassioned and ridiculously excessive in all his reactions.  Always in the heat of the moment.

So, this gift--this in itself was enough to put my Mother's Day over the top.  

But it gets better.

Owen then asked if he could make Mimi a Mother's Day present (they were at our house for the weekend and not up yet).  He wanted to cut her some flowers from outside and make her 'a book'.

I helped him with the flowers and then he went to work on her card.

Sometime later he once again burst into the kitchen, overflowing with excitement.  He thrust the fresh cut flowers into Mimi's face, yelling, "HAPPY MIMI'S DAY!!!'  (He didn't want to call it Mother's Day to her because she is a Mimi, of course.)

And here is the card he gave her:





First page: "My Mimi is always caring for me.  My mimi is smart, kind, caring.
Second page: "My Mimi is so nice and she is 67.  When she dies I would be sad.  But cheer up when I die.  I will get to see her."

Oh my goodness.  Do we call this 'deep thinking' or 'deeply disturbed?'  

When we finally recovered from this, he said, very matter-of-factly, "I think there needs to be 'Owen's Day'.  You get a Mother's Day.  Why isn't there 'Owen's Day'?"

He may not realize this now, but it was an 'Owen's Day'.  

100% to the brim and overflowing--
                                        an Owen's Day.









No comments:

Post a Comment