Thursday, January 2, 2014

One Word

Our family has always been big on making New Year's resolutions.  There's just something extremely satisfying about it.  I think it has to do with the fact that December is such an 'out of whack' kind of month, full of parties, get-togethers and activities.  It's a month of excess. I don't even like to say that about December--it feels anti-Christian.  But it's true.  It begins with being excessively busy, then some time between Christmas and New Year's it all comes to a screeching halt and we become excessively loungy (and yes, I made that word up).  I think in December we eat more, shop more, play more, run around more, and lay around more than all the other months put together!  By the time New Year's Day comes around, we are more than ready for a routine and some kind of regimen.

What does resolution mean anyway?  The dictionary has many definitions, such as:

1. The state or quality of being resolute; firm determination.
2. A resolving to do something.
3. A course of action determined or decided on.
4. The act of answering : solving
5. The point in a literary work at which the chief dramatic complication is worked out

I especially find the last definition intriguing.  The idea that we can write down our course of action for 2014, looking at the coming year as a literary work, resolving that complicated areas get worked out. 

Years ago, our family began the tradition of spending New Year's morning eating french toast and writing down our resolutions for the coming year.  Some years, our dearest and oldest friends--the Gold's--have gathered in this tradition with us.  There has been lots of laughter and poking fun over the years, as some of us (whom I will leave nameless) would zealously write down a full page worth of goals.  At some point, someone in our group would always remind the rest of us that we needed to make sure that we were setting realistic, attainable goals.  (I read something similar recently that I liked on a blog regarding setting S.M.A.R.T. resolutions--specific, measurable, attainable, realistic and timely.)   

It's true that often, we have had poor follow through in regards to our resolutions (especially those of us who couldn't just stick to a few!).  I think that is why some people dislike making them so much--they feel like it's just a recipe for failure and feel defeated before they even get started.   

This year our family's New Year's breakfast tradition had to adjust and change, as our Uganda mission team was putting on a 5K Resolution Run on New Year's morning.  Since Joshua, Sophie and myself are part of that team, our whole family was involved with working at the 5K.  So our annual breakfast got changed to a dinner.

Change seemed to be in the air, as Eric suggested that we do our resolutions a bit differently too.  A few days prior to New Year's Day he asked us each to pray and ask God for one word to focus on in 2014.  We were to write our word down somewhere and he challenged us to be creative (which was asking a lot of our sports-minded mostly boy crew :)).  At New Year's dinner we would take turns presenting our word and sharing why we had chosen it.

New Year's afternoon was spent scurrying about trying to 'secretly' make our Word, some of us taking it more seriously than others.  The evening finally arrived along with the Big Reveal Dinner.

We began youngest to oldest, letting the O start:



His word was Salvation.  We asked him why he picked this word and he said because it reminded him of Jesus.  We asked him if he knew what this big word meant and he said no :).  We explained it to him (probably the first of many times we will have to do that!) and told him that we were so glad God had given him such an important word.  In all seriousness, I am excited to see how God really does use this word in our six year old's life this year.  Will 2014 be the year that He illuminates His Word in a life changing way to our O?  Time will tell…

Jeremiah shared his word next:



Patients.  Yes, some of our older children were busting at the seams to tell our nine year old he had spelled it wrong (a common theme these days).  The correction was all but spilling out of their mouths, but I was able to intercept them with a kick under the table and The Look (and a reminder later that their spelling wasn't so hot these 'dayz' either, 'tho').

Jeremiah told us he picked Patients because he often had a hard time waiting when we told him to, such as when he had to wait to play with our neighbors after doing his homework or after doing chores.  He said this was the first word that came to him with Dad had asked him to pick a word.

Wes was next in line and shared with us his word:



We were all a little surprised at first that he picked this word, as all of the rest of us see him as a pretty disciplined guy for eleven years old.

He said this was the word that came to his mind immediately because he felt like he needed to be more disciplined in doing his homework right after school rather than falling to the temptation of playing outside instead.  He also said he wasn't very disciplined about running on his own and hoped he would get better about that.  And he hoped he would become more disciplined in thinking before he spoke.

Sophie, our fourteen year old, was next to share:



Sophie picked the word Lead because she said she wants to become more of a Leader at school and at home, that she wants to be an example of Jesus to the people around her.  Of all of our children, our move to Paducah was most difficult for Sophie.  She is easily intimidated around people she doesn't know very well and her initial reaction is to clam up in new situations.  I am looking forward to how God uses the word 'Lead' in her life in 2014.  

Next, was Joshua.  As he reached under the table to pull out a running shoe, I wondered what he was up to?



Sacrifice.

Josh said he wrote his word on his shoe because he felt like this past year he had sacrificed a lot to excel at running.  He said he had also sacrificed a lot to study and make good grades.  However, all his sacrifices had been about himself and in 2014 he wanted to become better at sacrificing for others.  An example he used was that he often left washing dishes and other chores to others so he could study for this or that test, but that he wanted to change that this year.  He picked Phil. 2:3 to be his theme verse: 'Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others as better than ourselves.'  As he finished, Sophie asked him if she could borrow his running shoes (she left one of hers in Louisville).  He began to tell her no, when we all chimed in, 'Wow, look at that!  God is already giving you the opportunity to sacrifice!'

Next, I got to share my word.  Most of them couldn't wait to hear what mine was because I had been walking around complaining for two days that I didn't like my word (maybe I should have chosen 'Grateful'?).  Anyway, I guess all of my ranting had heightened their anticipation.  

The word I felt like God was asking me to choose was Focus:



I explained that I had wanted an exotic word like 'Awaken', but the Word that kept coming to the forefront of my mind was Focus.  I guessed that the reason the word I was supposed to 'focus' on was 'Focus' because ever since we moved to Paducah, focusing has been my biggest obstacle.  Maybe it's been all of the changes we've gone through in the past year and a half?  Maybe it's moving into the teenagedom parenting years?  Maybe it's our school changes?  Moving homes twice?  I don't know exactly, but I often feel like I have ADD.  I want 2014 to be the year that my mind can calmly rest, calmly bring into focus only that which is important, in light of eternity, in light of the Scriptures, in light of Jesus. 

Lastly, our fearless leader shared his word:



Eric explained that in 2014 he wants to trust God more as a husband, a parent, a speaker and in our finances.  He said he worries too often when he is speaking to a group--instead, he needs to trust that God is the one doing the speaking, he is just the messenger.  Also, he worries too often about God providing--instead, he needs to trust that He will see us through.

This morning I began the One Year Reading Bible (one of my personal resolutions…we shall see…we shall see…maybe 2014 is the year to conquer this one!).  Anyway, each day has a devotional to go along with it.  Guess what  today's devotional was entitled?  'The Primary Focus'.  No, I'm not kidding!  I have a feeling I'm going to be hearing and seeing this word a lot in 2014!  I also have a feeling we are going to have a lot of poking fun with one another and their words.  This morning Jeremiah was getting very restless and agitated because the bus was running late.  

'Jeremiah, I think God is giving you an opportunity to practice patients!' :)

He didn't find it very humorous.

Eric got the idea of 'One Word' from some FCA buddies who did this last year who got the idea from a book called 'One Word That Will Change Your Life' written by Jon Gordon, Dan Britton and Jimmy Page.  We have not read it but I hope to soon.  After looking at their website , I am expecting big things from our One Word experiment.  

Salvation.  
Patients.  
Discipline.  
Lead.  
Sacrifice.  
Focus. 
Trust.


It's funny.  I wouldn't have picked Eric's nor any of our children's words for them.  Heck, I didn't even want my word.  My choices would have been so different.  But God's ways are not our ways, are they?  I am looking forward to seeing how He weaves our words into our life for His glory in 2014.



RESOLUTION:  The point in a literary work at which the chief dramatic complication is worked out

No comments:

Post a Comment