Tuesday, October 23, 2012

A Paducah Update!

This past Friday we got all of our children's report cards for the first nine weeks of school.  Since we moved here in conjunction with school starting, it reminded me that it was probably time to give a little 'report' on life here in Paducah.

First off, I've been educated on many a thing in this here part of the state.  Things such as:
  • In western KY, Barbeque is considered one of the four food groups.
  • While vans may be the common vehicle in Louisville carpool lines, Paducah is known for their jacked up pick-ups, often hauling four-wheelers and the like.  
  • I believe camouflage may very well be the new black.
  • Leash laws are unpopular here.  Instead, dogs roam about the neighborhood freely.  Murray has just as many friends come and visit him as our kids do.  There's Buddy, Lilly and Bluebell, to name a few.
  • Louisville Cardinal fans are few and far between.  One just assumes that if you live here, you go for the blue team.  Trying not to disclose our red blood too soon in our new friendships.  Gotta let'em down easy.
  • You will not find any shoulders on the roads in western KY.  So please make the curve the first time.
  • When someone tells you they live just right down the road, what they really mean is four cornfields and fifteen miles later.
  • While Paducah is big enough to support their own news station, they do not have a free-standing Starbucks or Target.  I know.  I KNOW.  What a travesty.  There does seem to be an undue amount of interest in Sonic, though, as there is one on every other corner.  More salt was added to the wound last weekend when we were in Hopkinsville at a cross-country meet and I learned that Hop-ville has a free standing Starbucks.  Not only that, it sports a large outdoor patio.  Whhhhaaaatttt???  Last I checked, Hopville's ratio of jacked up trucks beat Paducah 2:1.  And jacked up trucks and free-standing green buildings just don't go together.  What is coming of the world?!

While all of the above points are funny (and accurate!)--well the last point is not funny at all--, I have to say that there are many a thing we have gained here that I'm immensely enjoying.  Yes, we miss our family and friends in Louisville terribly.  Yes, the past two weeks--for me--have been the most difficult yet, as the move is finally sinking in as permanent.  However--even so--I have to say, I am taking quite a liking to this charming, southern small town.  Some of my favorites so far:
  • My children's elementary school couldn't be any better.  It really couldn't.  Love that place so much.
  • We are surrounded by fellow St. Louis Cardinal fans! (And many fellow fans to share in my sadness this morning...)
  • Our elementary school had their fall festival Friday night.  I was amazed at how many people came, whether they had kids at the school or not.  It was the Friday night thing to go to in town.  A true sense of community.  I love that.
  • Our kids aren't just a number at their school.  They are looked out for.  Love that too.
  • Love that most houses around here have large yards.
  • Starting to really get to know the kids on the cross country team.  They are such a good group of kids.  And they all hang out together from 5th grade all the way up to the seniors in high school.  Watching them all interacting together at Sweet CiCi's the other night was good for the soul.
  • Loving how--for whatever reason--we seem to have so much more time together as a family these days.

Yes, we are starting to settle in.  And yes, it is slowly starting to feel like home.  Yes, we are lonely-sad for so many of you we left.  Yet, we have an overriding peace that we are right where we are supposed to be.  

To close, I must leave you with this story:

The other day I was sitting in Wal-mart making my list before going in (yes, it is where I shop now.  No comments, please.) and an older gentleman--looked to be in his sixties--approached my window (Don't worry.  Such a thing is very common and safe in these parts.  People actually take time to talk to strangers like they've known them for years).  Anyway, I rolled my window down:

Old Man:  'That van ya got there.  It's fine.  Real fine.'

Me:  'Um.  Why, thank you.'


Fine?  Are you kidding me?  




Old Man:  'How many seats you have in there?'

Me:  'It's a twelve-seater, Sir.'

Old Man:  'Yeah, been trying to talk my wife into one of these.  Thought we could take out the back seats and put a mattress back there.'

Um, excuse me, sir, but are you any relation to Honey Boo Boo?

Old Man:  'Yes, I like your ride.  A lot.  She's fine.  Real fine'.

Red-neck RVing.  Yes, I've heard it all now.

This concludes my little 'report'.  The grade?

 It's fine.  Real fine.







No comments:

Post a Comment